According to Philosophy, self-care refers to the care and cultivation of self in a comprehensive sense, focusing in pjjddarticular on the soul and the knowledge of self. Self care can also be seen as an act of service to one’s self, intentionally taking time put to take care of yourself (mind, body & soul). As we look forward to the new year, we want more women (career, corporate, entrepreneurs) to focus a lot on self care, self awareness and self love. It is okay to be busy and productive, but it is also super important to take break once in a while and focus on you. Here are 10 simple ways to practice self care in 2018.
- Punctuate your day with a mini-meditation: with one minute of awareness of your thoughts, feelings, and sensations; one minute of focused attention on breathing; and one minute of awareness of the body as a whole. Meditation is very important.
- Unplug for an hour: Switch everything to airplane mode and free yourself from the constant bings of social media and email.
- Run (or walk, depending on your current physical health) for a few minutes: Or go up and down the stairs three times.
- Narrow your food choices: Pick two healthy breakfasts, lunches, and dinners and rotate for the week.
- Be still: Sit somewhere green, and be quiet for a few minutes.(Find a green space in your office or around your home0
- Get fifteen minutes of sun: especially if you’re in a cold climate. (Use sunscreen if appropriate.)
- Splurge a little: Buy a small luxury as a way of valuing yourself.
- Have a self-date: Spend an hour alone doing something that nourishes you (reading, your hobby, visiting a gallery,taking a paint class etc.)
- Take a home spa: Have a long bath or shower, sit around in your bathrobe, and read magazines.
- Write a Daily Gratitude List: A daily gratitude list is really helpful to shift your focus and help you appreciate any situation. It doesn’t have to be long, a few sentences will do or just a list. If you keep a gratitude journal, you can also look back on your previous entries whenever you need a little boost of happiness and motivation. I have done this at different times and it has helped.
These simple self care practices will always keep your zen and calm in 2018.